ISWAN runs a campaign on health issues for seafarers and provides an online shop where information to support Seafarers' heath can be ordered. Seafarers are among the most isolated demographic working groups in the world in relation to access to medical care, both in emergency situations and for primary health care. On a large, slow vessel in the middle of the ocean, a seafarer may be several days away from quality medical services. In accordance with the World Health Organisation definition of health as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, ISWAN runs a campaign on health issues for seafarers:
The Seafarers' Health Information Programme
- The messages focus on the lifestyle of the individual seafarer, in relation to the living conditions onboard
- While onboard, seafarers are isolated from medical care, both in emergency situations and for primary healthcare
- SHIP takes fully into account the specific experiences and needs of seafarers
- SHIP supports seafarers to develop personal skills to keep healthy
- The 10 topics are : Food Safety, Fit onboard, Safe Travel, Healthy Food, Malaria, Overweight, STI - HIV&Aids, Mental care, Dental care and Skin care"